Home > Library Services > Disability Services > Services for Persons with Disabilities
The Eisenhower Library provides a variety of services for patrons with disabilities. For assistance with special needs please contact the Support Services Office on A-Level at 410/516-8338.
Ramped sidewalks and automatic doors are located at both the Quadrangle (Q-Level) and Charles Street entrances. An elevator for library users with disabilities is located in the alcove just North of the Charles Street entrance. The elevator has stops at the Main Level and the Quad Level.
These accessible services are located throughout the building as indicated below:
- Restrooms - Q, M, A, and C Levels
- Campus Only Phones - M and C Levels
- J-Card PHIL Machine - C-Level
- Water Fountains - Q, M, A, and C Levels
- Study Desks are on either side of the glass enclosure on M-level
- Public workstations:
- next to the Information Desk (M03) and in the Electronic Resource Center -- all located on M-Level
- seated workstations - obtain a login at the Circulation desk between 8am - 8pm
The Eisenhower Library staff is pleased to provide additional services for the research and information needs of patrons with disabilities. Whenever possible, please provide advance notice to staff to help insure that specific needs are met. The following services are available:
- Retrieving Materials - Onsite requests for stacks materials may be made at the Circulation Desk or the Information Desk on M-Level.
- Document Delivery - Arrangements can be made with the Eisenhower Express Coordinator (410-516-8358) to have materials retrieved from the library. Books and articles will be delivered to Homewood offices or sent electronically to personal computers or fax machines. E-mail the Express Coordinator to request service.
- Viewing/Listening Station - An accessible-height viewing/listening workstation is located in the Audiovisual Center on A-Level.
- All areas of AV (A-level) have lights adjustable with dimmers.
- Two scanners for converting a written document into an electronic file are available in Government Publications/Maps/Law Library, A-level.
- Circulation and Information desks have wheelchair height areas.
- Over 3900 AV items are close captioned or have English subtitles.
- ZoomText 9 is installed on most public PCs in the library. ZoomText is both a magnifier and a screen reader (screen reader requires headphones, which can be obtained in the Audiovisual Center on A-Level).
- An OPAL portable handheld video magnifier is available for use in AV, on A-level.
- A ZoomText large-print keyboard is available on a PC with ZoomText software on M-level (M03).
- A Kensington Expert Mouse (trackball) is available for use in AV, A-level.
- A wheelchair accessible group study with an adjustable height study desk is on C-level next to the copy room.
- Lockers are available for patrons with special needs. Please make inquiries at the Support Services Office, north end of A-level Monday-Friday, 8AM-3PM.
Fire alarms throughout the building also flash for patrons who are hard of hearing. Patrons using wheelchairs are asked to let guards know when they are in the building so that they may be assisted during an emergency evacuation. Campus phones may be used to contact the Guard's Desk (x6-4814) for assistance during an emergency evacuation.