Home > Library Services > Computing > Library Wired Network Connection Instructions
- Laptop with a network jack (not modem)
- Network cable (Network cables are available for purchase ($1 each) from the Circulation Desk on M-Level Sunday - Thursday from 8 AM until 10 PM, and Friday and Saturday from 8 AM until 8 PM.)
- Laptop must be configured to obtain IP address automatically (instructions are provided below)
- Valid JHED ID and password
- Jacks are located on or near the carrels at the south end of the Library on A, B, C and D levels; active jacks are marked by BLACK labels
- On the desktop, right click My Network Places icon. If the icon is not on your desktop, you can locate it in the Windows Explorer
- Right click the icon and choose Properties
- Choose the Local Area Connection for your network card and right click it; choose Properties
- On the list of components, choose Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - you may have to scroll down to the end of the list - and double click it
- Make sure that "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are checked.
- Click OK a few times to close all boxes.
- Start your web browser
- If the JHARS screen does not appear, type in http://jhars.nts.jhu.edu
- Enter your JHED ID and JHED password
- If you are connecting for the first time, you will have to register for Dynamic IP Address (this is a first time only registration). Follow the instructions on the web site to finish you registration.
If you have a problem connecting to JHARS, contact HITS at 6-HELP from any campus telephone.